Bud Flanagan wrote he song Underneath the Arches in 1927 and first performed it with Chesney Allen a week later at the Pier Pavilion in Southport. But where are the arches?
Click her to watch this Pathe News film from 1941
Built in 1876 by a local firm Andrew Handyside & Co for the Great Northern Railway, it was closed to all rail traffic 100 years later. The underside of the two arches are ornate and this may have influenced Bud in writing the song.
After its closure British Railways transferred it to Derby Council on the understanding they would maintain it in perpetuity. The interpretation of this expression by politicians appears to be until we forget about it. It is currently in a poor state of repair and a petition has been established asking Derby Council to honour its commitment: