Sunday 7 August 2011

Beware of Apostrophic Contagion

Despite repeated assurances from the medical profession it is now clear that Greengrocers' Apostrophe has jumped species as the first reported case of Contractors' Apostrophe has  been identified ,in Newbury.
Medical experts are particularly baffled as the likelihood of contractors coming into contact with vegetables was considered remote. Local residents are being advised to wear gloves when buying vegetables and to avoid holes in the road.

1 comment:

  1. I was a school teacher in the U.S. For 31 years and I am always seeing apostrophe errors. Sometime ago I became hooked on reading narrow boat blogs and I am amazed to see errors by those living in the home of the mother tongue. Usually they are putting in an apostrophe where it doesn't belong as in "it's" when "its" is correct, now and then it is just the opposite by writing "your" when it should be "you're". Enough ranting, let me say I really enjoy reading the nb blogs and wish I could blink my eyes and visit for a cruise!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be removed if considered inappropriate